[Scons-dev] modernize 0.4 is released for Python 3 porting experiments

getspammed iwanttogetspammed at gmx.net
Mon Oct 27 11:41:17 EDT 2014

Am 26.10.2014 um 22:40 schrieb anatoly techtonik:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Really?  I merged default into it not too long ago.
>>
>> About 2 months according to my repository!
>>
>> (Actually I though it was more than that, I missed the latest merge
>> until I read your email and checked. I will try and play with things
>> next week.)
>
> Mercurial developers are very skeptical about Python 3 porting
> for system level utilities, so I am not alone:
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Python3

I would say the situation for Scons is slightly different than the one for Mercurial:
  - In order to use Scons you have to have a python installation of your own - Mercurial installs its own one.
  - Using Scons means you have to write your build script (SConstruct) in that version of the Python language, that is also used by Scons.

I am currently working on a project, where Python is used for several things and the team decided to go for Python 3.3. So in order to need just a single Python installation for being able to contribute to this project, i took the branch https://bitbucket.org/userzimmermann/scons, built a scons-local package from that and integrated that into our repository. That works quite well with PYthon 3.3, although we sometime experience problem when doing parallel builds (e.g -j4) - Scons is trying to access a build target while a custom builder still has a handle open for that file. But since we are using a 'hacked' version of Scons, i will surely not complain.

So i guess from my situation you can see, that it would be much to my regret if support for Python 3 in Scons would be considered subordinate. On the contrary: I find Python 2 old-fashioned and i am waiting for Scons' Python 3 support wishfully.

Regards,
Rocco