[Scons-dev] Patch for review: add missing .itcl target to SWIG builder

Ben Golding Ben.Golding at synopsys.com
Wed Nov 5 16:35:32 EST 2014

After reading the responses to the other thread that I opened, I now understand that SideEffect() should not be used for files that I want to install, or indeed care about at all.

I found a couple of cases where the SWIG builder misses some generated files from the returned targets, in generating Java and [incr Tcl] code.

The Java case is a bit complex, since there can be many additional files; figuring out the names would amount to writing a C/C++ parser. I've opened a thread on the SWIG users list about this.

When specifying the -itcl option, however, the output file seems to be always based on the input (foo.i => foo.itcl). I've attached a simple patch which changes the emitter to return foo.itcl in target[1]. There is no change to target[0] which is a C/C++ file.

I have two concerns about this patch as it stands:
1) Compatibility impact on existing SConscript from changing the length of the returned target list.
2) The SWIG builder gets invoked through env.CFile() or env.CXXFile(), however only one of the returned targets is a C/C++ file.

I suppose the above could be addressed by extra code to handle the .itcl extension in generate(), but I'm unsure exactly the right way to do this. I'm also unsure how the SConscript should look in that case, since the .itcl and .cpp files are generated at once. (The .itcl file is something like a "side effect", but we do care about it.) So returning the additional list item from CXXFile() seems a pragmatic solution.

Comments/improvements are welcome.

Regards
Ben