[Scons-dev] Toolchain requirements

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Thu May 29 07:59:06 EDT 2014

I'd really like to see some easier way of configuring things. Our sysadmins in their wisdom install things somewhere where scons can't find them (with the rather fun result that on solaris, it finds gcc and tries to pass it the parameters for CC which merely adds to the fun).

I'd like to say - I want to use xlC and *here is where to find it*, then let scons set up all the flags and things it thinks I should use. I'd be happy enough to create a wrapper tool which sets up the required path, then delegates most of the setup to the provided tool, then adds in whatever specific useful stuff we might require.

I'd like a better way of specifying the site dir to find tools. Though you can do this on the command line, you can't do it inside the SConstruct file which makes for grief (this is sort of counter to the tool setup happening before SConstruct is read though). I've seen more than 1 place where

SCons.Script.Main._load_site_scons_dir(Dir('#'), site_dir)

is called.

If you are going to make lazy initialisation of work, it sort of requires clients to be able to wrap the tool initialisation with their own, which I don't think makes things more complex, it would clean things up a bit, so that if you say used CC and scons looked for CC in your site tools directory, and found it, as long as your site tools could hand off to the original site tools after preconfiguring, then add additional stuff, then you'd get a cleaneier and not too hard to understand system. On the bad side, it would break things.

$CC being left blank would presumably not be an issue, assuming that the toolchain setup did the right thing and either succeeded with all the variables set up or failed properly.

Now I need to go read the documentation...