[Scons-dev] Your advice wanted on issue #1742: TryLink() is too successful sometimes...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Wed May 21 03:10:51 EDT 2014

On 21.05.2014 00:53, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> That's an insidious combination of problems there. I don't think much
> is expected to work if only g++ is defined and not gcc, but it would
> be nice if it didn't fail this badly. Of course the mythical toolchain
> revamp will prevent this kind of thing or at least make it harder. But
> I don't know how much can be done for this particular case.

I'm more worried about the general case...this can happen in other
contexts too. The basic problem is that we use "-" to signal a command
to be ignored, and it's the "option" char at the same time. This makes
the underlying "grammar" for the current command string ambiguous.
One option would be to do the check on leading "-" and "@" on the
unexpanded string only (before the subst). But then a user couldn't
switch on/off these via a leading variable anymore...like in
($IGNORE$LINK ...). It would always have to get hardcoded into the
Action command, or you'd have to use a generator function. Maybe that's
a way out, without sacrificing too much flexibility.