[Scons-dev] prefix, bindir, datadir, libdir, etc.

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat May 10 12:18:30 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-10 at 15:06 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
[…]

> Splendid, I shall take a look at this and what I have been working with

> and see what the commonalities and differences are. First reaction is

> that yours is a structured framework, and mine is a quick hack.

First immediate thought:

I have found it best to store values in a file rather than a command
line: Autoconf/Automake and Waf have a configuration stage and a build
stage so configuration stage options persist across all build
executions. SCons is build stage only and doesn't have a real way of
persisting things. Yes, they should persist in the SCons database but I
am not sure that works well as a user experience, much better to bring
that persistence out explicitly in a file.

So I would suggest that GVars need to be able to process a configuration
file. Currently I just cheat and exec a Python script.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder