[Scons-dev] WTF NB?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Tue May 6 13:42:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am reading CHANGES.txt:

> and integrated with the C and C++ linking. NB This is only tested with

> D v2, D v1 is now deprecated.

> What is NB? The most closest I can find in Wikipedia is

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nota_bene but my brain hurts

> when I try to translate the exact meaning into my native

> language.

> Can we try to be simple?

NB does indeed mean "nota bene", which translates as "note well".
It's pretty common in English, although it's from Latin.
Other similar abbreviations are e.g. for "exempli gratia" and i.e. for
"id est" as well as the very common etc. ("et cetera") There are lots
of these, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_abbreviations
for more.
(I usually write N.B. rather than NB for clarity; I'd accept a pull
request to fix that. ;-) )