[Scons-dev] MANIFEST.in file

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Tue May 6 12:36:36 EDT 2014

Hi Rob,

On 06.05.2014 17:37, Managan, Rob wrote:

> I probably have not read any of the workflow docs lately but I don't

> remember having to update the MANIFEST.in file when a new file is

> added. Of course, I may never have added a file before. Is it the

> responsibility of a developer that adds a file to the source to add it

> to the MANIFEST.in file so bootstrap.py works? Until I tried using

> bootstrap.py I had no clue that something may be broken since the

> tests all passed, etc.

you're right, this isn't really obvious at the moment. We should add
this info to the README.rst, and also to the introduction of the
Developer Guide in the Wiki. Can you possibly suggest a good place
within those documents, like where would you search first?

In addition to that, it might be a good idea to try and add some kind of
automatic check. A simple script or test, that gets started with every
"runtest.py -a" for example. I'm not sure about how to properly detect
files that are missing in the MANIFEST.in, such that the script can emit
a warning.
If this were an easy task, we could probably throw out the MANIFEST.in
files in general and use the script instead. ;)

But maybe someone has a clever idea.