[Scons-dev] Question about .../SCons/Platform/win32.py

getspammed iwanttogetspammed at gmx.net
Sun Mar 23 05:43:54 EDT 2014

Hello Anatoly,

thank you for your investigations.

After reading issue 1721 i realized that:

- my assumption, that msvcrt defaulted to open files as non inheritable was false.
- python2's implementation of 'open' seems to use the c runtime's default behaviour (creating inheritable handles).
- python3's new io module does it differently and creates non inheritable handles.

I was asking my question, since i am using a bare python3 installation without pywin32 installed, which gave me
warnings about parallel builds. So my conclusion is:

- The code in win32.py is a workaround for a problem that can be triggered when using python2. Therefore giving a warning is appropriate in that case.
- When running under python3 the warning can be ignored. It would be even better if that warning was suppressed in that case.

Regards,
Rocco