[Scons-dev] Big pull requests

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Mar 18 11:32:01 EDT 2014

Gary tried hard to merge PR#119 over the weekend, but did not due to the
insanity of the resulting changeset path structure. It is clear that
Mercurial/BitBucket cannot handle pull requests from long-lived and
frequently merged "feature branch" clones. Unless someone knows
something Gary and I do not – which is quite likely as we both mostly
use Git and are only used to simple Mercurial scenarios.

This leads to two possibilities:

1. I create a single changeset from all the history of changes and
submit a new pull request.

2. We replace the current SCons mainline repository with SCons_D_Tooling
repository.

I suspect 2 will cause too much outrage, so I guess I have to be
resigned to performing a manual diff and single commit of all changes.
Doing this requires a few days with no commits to the mainline, so if
someone can tell me when that might be, I can schedule the activity.

The moral of the story: do not expect long-lived, frequently merged
Mercurial "feature branch" clones to be anything other than a right
royal pain.

This email is as much a grump as anything else.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder