[Scons-dev] Question...(not flamebait)

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 02:24:02 EST 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 12:38 -0800, Bill Deegan wrote:

> O.k. I concur with Gary that we should keep them and make sure they are in

> new files.

Works for me.

I think then we need a script (akin to the copyright plugin that most
IDEs have) to check that every file has the correct copyright notice and
Emacs/Vi/Vim notice. I wonder if Eclipse/PyDev, Aptana, PyCharm,
WingIDE, IntelliJIDEA/Python, Komodo, Ninja-IDE. do the right thing?

An alternative is to declare PEP-8 and run pep8 prior to commit, or
every so often.

This raises the generally vexed issue of copyright ownership. Default in
UK, and USA, law is, I believe, that copyright rests with the writer.
Thus FOSS projects technically have to deal with all contributors or,
more usually, have a contribution agreement that assigns or creates
shared copyright. In SCons' case the situation is easy, the assigned or
shared copyright should rest with the SCons Foundation, and it should be
the foundation that is the published copyright owner.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder