[Scons-dev] SCons learning curve (Was: New symlink copy support)

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Jul 30 13:02:38 EDT 2014

Anatoly,

A manpage is supposed to be the definitive list of all the API’s.
If you think you can do anything substantive with a system based on a cursory read of some short documentation, I believe you are mistaken.

That said a trivial build doesn’t require a more complete comprehension of SCons.

He’s working on an issue dealing with how variantdirs implemented based on an option. I think it’s reasonable that a good read of the manpage and at the very least searching the manpage for related terms is reasonable.

-Bill

On July 29, 2014 at 11:32:58 PM, anatoly techtonik (techtonik at gmail.com) wrote:

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:16 AM, William Deegan
<bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:
> William,
>
> Yes that is used for VariantDir’s..
> There’s also an argument to such:
>
> BuildDir(build_dir, src_dir, [duplicate]) , env.BuildDir(build_dir, src_dir,
> [duplicate])
> Deprecated synonyms for VariantDir and env.VariantDir(). The build_dir
> argument becomes the variant_dir argument of VariantDir or env.VariantDir().
> Note you’ll find more detail in the
> manpage:http://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-man.htmlSearch for
> VariantDir().
> If you’re going to use SCons in any significant way, a thorough read of the
> manpage and user guide will serve you well.

Thorough read is a big design fail if you ask me. Tools for humans
need to be intuitive, so I hope our goal is to get a tool that needs
very short introduction to get going, and just a short reference for
all major concepts.
--
anatoly t.