[Scons-dev] New symlink copy support

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:27:54 EDT 2014

> I can't foresee any situation where global switch will be useful, but
> it may be worthy to set one. I hope our goal is to to have intelligent
> and fast build system, not the one creeping with options. So if we can
> make automatic defaults that work fast thanks to symlinks where this
> is supported without breaking former logic - I am all +1.

I personally think a global switch would be very convenient if you don't
like the default behavior.

Options are fine if they are handled like "scons --debug=<items>" so the
options are well categorized.  I agree that a lot of base level options can
be scary though.

It may not break previous logic, but it may not have the desired effect.
 The difference is subtle, but could be even harder to troubleshoot.

I do think the original effort should have been to do this in the first
place.  I didn't know it existed until after the changes had been
discussed, reviewed, and merged.

V/R,
William