[Scons-dev] New symlink copy support

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sun Jul 27 18:02:29 EDT 2014

William,

There is support for versioned libraries.. You shouldn’t have to make copies..
See: http://www.scons.org/doc/2.3.2/HTML/scons-man.html
search for : InstallVersionedLib

-Bill

On July 26, 2014 at 5:02:19 PM, William Blevins (wblevins001 at gmail.com) wrote:

I think it is reasonable for SCons to support symlinks on systems that support symlinks.

I develop primarily on UNIX-based systems and I don't use symlinks often with SCons because SCons didn't support symlink copy.  Example: versioned shared libraries.  For me to do libA.so, libA.so.1, and libA.so.1.0.0, I actually had to make 3 copies of the same file before which isn't practical (or acceptable behavior really).

If we have a lot of complaints, then we could can the default.  I don't see this happening.  I think there are fair more people that want this behavior which didn't exist, than those who will be opposed to it.

V/R,
William

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com> wrote:
> What's wrong with copying symlinks if that's what the user wants?

Nothing wrong if user know that he wants to copy symlinks. But I am sure
most users just want to copy ordinary files. So if somebody wants symlink
copy, it should be stated explicitly and not be a default behavior.

> I have some pure python Windows symlink code lying around somewhere too.
> Works fine on NFL.

os.symlink() is not that code and that is the code that unconditionally invoked
on Copy if I am not mistaken.