[Scons-dev] Getting started with the SCons code base~

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 13:09:02 EDT 2014

> [wblevins at localhost scons]$ ./runtest.py test/Java/DerivedSourceTest.py
> 1/1 (100.00%) /usr/bin/python -tt test/Java/DerivedSourceTest.py
> /home/wblevins/BitBucket/scons/src/script/scons.py returned 2
> STDOUT
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> scons: done reading SConscript files.
> scons: Building targets ...
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>
> STDERR
> scons: *** [.] ValueError : zero length field name in format
>
> FAILED test of /home/wblevins/BitBucket/scons/src/script/scons.py
>     at line 598 of /home/wblevins/BitBucket/scons/QMTest/TestCommon.py
> (_complete)
>     from line 701 of /home/wblevins/BitBucket/scons/QMTest/TestCommon.py
> (run)
>     from line 390 of /home/wblevins/BitBucket/scons/QMTest/TestSCons.py
> (run)
>     from line 95 of test/Java/DerivedSourceTest.py

After making the tool update which I assume is a work-around for a bug in
the main trunk, I still got this error.  I ran the system with python 2.7.X
and it was fine.  Based on the output, I believe this error happens because
scons is printing the python warning banner to STDERR.  It doesn't make
much sense to fail a test due to the python version warning banner.  Can we
change this or make runtest check versions and fail before running the test?