[Scons-dev] SCons Contrib Repository

Ivan Nedrehagen ivan.nedrehagen at loqal.no
Thu Feb 27 02:04:49 EST 2014

På Thu, 27 Feb 2014 05:17:07 +0100, skrev anatoly techtonik
<techtonik at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Gary Oberbrunner

> <garyo at oberbrunner.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>

>> wrote:

>>> Any code on the wiki should be removed, wikis are not the place for

>>> code, version control repositories are the place for code.

I must object on this. Based on the experience in my company we use wiki
snippets extensively, while we have only once used a repository for
fetching
any code. As a developing tool VCS is great, as a resource for learning,
not so much. I beg you to consider that many companies developing software
doesn't even use VCS for their own software, do you then expect them to
learn how to pull a repository just for finding out how to make an emitter.

I for my part would have had a hard time convincing my fellow developers
from
using Scons without showing them the vast amount of examples and snippets
found
on the Scons wiki and stackoverflow

>> Yes, but. Wikis are excellent places for snippets and small code chunks

>> (think about stackoverflow for instance); creating a repo just for your

>> little 10-line thing is worse: more effort and little to no gain.

>> Anything

>> larger than a single function though, I agree with you.

> Sane diffs, history of changes and ability to browse with your editor is

> good

> for code regardless of its size. Repository has a lower entry barrier

> than the

> wiki. Also it is primarily for code that is more than 10-line thing.

All things considered, I think this is a discussion that should be placed
on
the user mailing list, as this affects the users more than the developers,
and the usage pattern of the users should be the the decisive factor in
such a
matter.

For me ease of use is one of the strong points of Scons, the samples on
the wiki
reflects just that. For me, googling "Scons add dynamically" and finding a
snippet
that demonstrate an emitter is one of the joys of Scons.