[Scons-dev] SCons doesn't bootstrap without libxml2

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 14:50:58 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:24 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> I am actually thinking about stripping Docbook toolchain altogether

>> (better sooner than later), and move its maintenance into separate repo,

>> because its addition tripled repository size for all subsequent versions.

> That seems a bit extreme to me, but perhaps I don't understand what you're

> proposing.

> I guess you're proposing to remove src/engine/SCons/Tool/docbook (i.e. most

> of commit 5ba470ff00b2) on the principle that it is just a copy of something

> that is source-controlled elsewhere? I could see that I guess.

Yes. Not only source controlled - it just doesn't belong. I'd like to see SCons
lean and small handy utility - not an enterprisey XML driven monster. Having a
clean history will help me to market for it properly and get
additional proof that
the project is well maintained.

> But it

> won't actually make a fresh hg clone much smaller since it'll still be in

> the history (unless we strip it, which I don't think is a good idea at all).

Strip, right. Storing editor configuration in repository is a bad move, and it
is also time that it takes to clone this stuff that is bad. It is hard
to explain
and you may think that I am a nitpicker, but I stripped branches during
migration also because of these reasons and seeing 3x increase in size
is like wasting some part of this work.

> Just removing that dir takes a clean checked out repo from 67MB to 48MB for

> me, which is not a huge savings. I think the whole repo is still very

> reasonable in size.

I am not sure you're operating with a clean clone - here is the graph
that I've got
while measuring repository growth - see 3rd tab - http://goo.gl/ZOEc8e My
Mercurial strip doesn't remove commit from the repository. It just
merely hides it.
I didn't try stripping it yet. Maybe you also have this behavior.

--
anatoly t.