[Scons-dev] Fix async subprocess execution with proper handling of std* streams

Eugene Leskinen karbazol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 08:02:56 EST 2014

Hi Anatoly,

The code supporting I/O redirection in Parts is located in
parts/part_logger.py file. Look at
http://parts.tigris.org/source/browse/parts/trunk/parts/parts/part_logger.py?revision=486&view=markup

The code uses Python threading module to create threads for each stream and
then runs a loop in every thready like your code does:

line = ' '
try:
while line:
line = self.pipein.readline()
if line:
self.output.WriteStream(self.taskId, self.streamId,
line)
except:
# There was an error... that shouldn't happen, but still it
did. So we report it
# to the caller and close our pipe end so that spawned program
won't block
self.error = traceback.format_exc()
self.pipein.close()
self.pipein = None

Please note that public repo is a bit out-of-date. I hope Jason will find
time to pull up-to-date version from Intel internal repository.

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Kenny, Jason L <jason.l.kenny at intel.com>

> wrote:

> >> Fix async subprocess execution with proper handling of std* streams.

> > So I fixed the issue with output in Parts. I not saying it could not be

> > clean up some more. However it solves the output issues, and adds

> coloring (

> > which seems to need some fixing in certain cases.. ie mac mostly) and

> > logging support. It might not be too hard for someone to move the code

> over

> > to SCons and integrated its usage into SCons.

> Do you have, by any chance a description of output issues?

> It seems that I've lost my list during the last Windows partition crash.

> Also, can you pinpoint the parts in Parts that are relevant to the issues?

> I may have time to port them over to SCons.

> My approach

> https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/absub

> to make subprocess asynchronous by moving processing

> of input/output streams into separate threads. I don't remember why, but

> the

> work stalled. I remember there was some kind of error that I was not able

> debug due to distributed nature of the process. I needed to write more

> tests

> for that, but it is either I run out of time, multithreaded tests were

> complicated

> or I just had an annual Windows filesystem crash.

> Now I am thinking about replacing concept of input/output streams with the

> concept of channel, which is a queue of strings with limited size. The

> queue

> can be rotated to become unlimited. Can be synchronous to wait (block)

> until messages are read if the queue is full. This may help to clear

> confusion

> around all that input output streams handling, pipes and descriptor

> inheritances.

> --

> anatoly t.

Regards,