[Scons-dev] [GSoC Mentors Announce] Re: Now Accepting Applications for Mentoring Organizations for GSoC 2014

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 22:30:42 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

>> Hi Russel,

>>> I had a quick look at the 2 → 3 one and started making changes, but

>>> cancelled when I realized the final goal seems to be to create a pre

>>> 2to3 script so that the combination of the two create a SCons codebase

>>> transform.

>>> I don't agree with this, I think we should be looking to create a single

>>> codebase that runs with Python 2 or Python 3.

>>> Once I realized this I backed out of my changes to leave things as they

>>> were.

>> please just continue editing the page and set the proper goals for this

>> task. I wrote this text for GSoC 2013, back when our py3 branch didn't

>> exist. So it's not really up-to-date anymore...

> Agreed -- the task should be single 2&3 codebase, as we've discussed on the

> mailing list.

I just want to warn that supporting Python 2/3 is a can of worms and if we lose
control over them, we may lose more than gain. In
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/hexdump from 7 released versions, at least 2 were
released because of non-trivial Python 3 issues, and hexdump is just 10kB
with tests.
--
anatoly t.