[Scons-dev] status of python3 port

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Dec 22 13:43:09 EST 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 09:04 -0800, Ram Bhamidipaty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the status of getting scons to run on python3? Is there a
> central
> place that tracks the issues? Maybe even a target timeline? Or list
> of required milestones?

The activity is currently stalled. I had been hoping to put some
effort into this in the past couple of weeks but stuff came up that
had to have a higher priority.

There is a branch in the mainline Mercurial repository. It needs
bringing up to date with progress on the default branch and then it
needs whatever work is needed to make the code run under Python 2.7
and Pythons 3.3 and later. Some will argue for supporting 2.6 but I
would suggest that is not worthwhile. Pythons 3.[012] should in my
view now be ignored. The branch has had a lot of work on it already so
this is not starting from scratch but there is a lot to be done.

As there is no paid help, only volunteers, there is no point in trying
to put timelines or milestones, or any other sort of project
management on this. Progress will happen as those, like me, determined
to eradicate Python 2 from their lives, get time to work on the
problem.

I suggest though that with the "Very Big Change" happening to the
default branch very soon now, best bet is to wait for that, remerge
default into python3 branch and then deal with the fall out.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk