[Scons-dev] catching up

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Mon Aug 18 13:17:32 EDT 2014

On the slots usage.

I believe for me the value of slots was that it reduced memory a lot. I posted tests some time ago to show this. Ideally I would be a fan of python cleaning this up internally, but at the end of the day the __slots__ just seem to be a memory allocator tweak.

This is why I pushed the idea in the first place. We have builds that take a lot of memory ( 3-6 GB) by just the build system alone. This space would be better used by the tool ( ie compilers).  I feel that given some fixes in certain area of SCons that we should be able to reduce this a great deal. This will make it easier to build large projects and it will make it faster. I don't have an issue that SCons might use a GB, but the current usage seems to be about a factor 10 to much.

Jason