[Scons-dev] catching up

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Aug 17 14:54:49 EDT 2014

There's probably not much point in my trying to respond to many of the
threads that have been running here in the last couple of weeks; if there
are things that should be addressed please bring them up.

As for dev priorities, I think we have two big important projects (not
counting releasing 2.3.3 which I guess we should do after some further
testing?): Python 3 port, and Toolchain.  I agree the python3 work is
stalled; we need a volunteer.  I can do it, but I have no particular
python3 experience so if anyone can take this on it would be great.  First
thing is to rebase it to the tip of default; I'll try that. I'm thinking
based on what I'm learning about hg that it may be best to rebase it as a
bookmark and close the branch.  Opinions?  It does have to be done and
merged as the default going forward soon if we don't want to lose the work
that's been done (which is very valuable).

The other project is toolchain; I've started working on this and would like
to spend my time on that if possible; it's where I can probably bring the
most value to the project.  I actually don't think it'll take all that long
to hammer out the design and first test implementation; there'll be a bunch
of tool-porting after that but we can split that up.

The other open thread I did want to address is Russel's big commit; I did
reject the pull request where he had all his commits with merges from the
default branch; that's because when I did the merge it looked _really_ ugly
in hg (both on bitbucket and just in the regular log --graph).  Mercurial
just couldn't make a sensible graph from it; even though it was
conceptually just two lines of development hg log --graph made it into
literally dozens.  This is in no way Russel's fault; he was doing the same
as what anyone would do for a long-running project.  But I don't want to
give the impression that I'm a clean-history zealot either.  Merges are
fine, and we don't need to pretend that SCons development proceeds entirely
linearly.  That one for some reason hg just couldn't handle, and I just
couldn't bring myself to make that part of our permanent history so I
suggested he collapse it.

(I know there are lots of other things going on -- I didn't intend the
above to be exhaustive.)