[Scons-dev] Questions about the SCons release process.

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 12:37:16 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 11:31 -0400, William Blevins wrote:
[…]
> With SCons, at least in recent releases, the patch number hasn't been
> honored as bug fix only, and I am concerned this is creating some confusion
> for user's with focus on stability.

[…]
> I imagine that the SCons repo branches might look something like this:
> Legend [ '/' = new branch for tighter scope work, '-' = commits on a
> branch, '\' = merge into broader scoped branch ]
>
>                                          2.1.X ----    2.2.X ---
>                                                 /    \          /    \
>                             2.X core ------------------------------
>                                        /                 \             \
> Default (IE. 3.X core) ------------------------------------------------
>
> Sorry if that ASCII is a bit crude.

I wonder if I am not seeing what you think I am seeing as I use a

My prejudice here is to have maintenance branches for bug fix releases
of a released minor version and for default to be the next minor
release. (OK so Gant is not doing this, but there are reasons for this.
With GPars this is very much what we do.)

Our second biggest problem for me is that the Python 3 work has stalled
and the feature branch for that is falling further and further
behind :-( Was the intention for SCons 2.4 to be Python 3 compliant?

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk