[Scons-dev] on demand Program tool initialization

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 13:24:38 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 10.08.2014 18:20, anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> We have started to discuss these kind of things on the ToolchainRevamp
>>> pages
>>> in the Wiki:
>>>
>>>    http://www.scons.org/wiki/ToolchainRevamp
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>>    http://scons.org/wiki/RevampToolsSubsystem
>>>
>>> . Feel free to add your points and comments there.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer, but it doesn't answer the questions, which are:
>>
>> What minimal data tool needs to tell Program so that Program will
>> choose it for certain files?
>
> We don't know yet.

Ok. I see that minimal set includes extensions that tools handles. That's
for sure.

>> Can we add this information unobtrusively now without waiting for the
>> discussions to complete?
>
> No.

Answers is unclear. Please expand.

I don't feel like wiki is the right tool for discussions. It will make a much
better service containing only outcomes and summaries (with references
if needed).

>> Meaning is there any parts that are already settled down and can be
>> implemented now without breaking things in future when we have a
>> solid plan?
>
> Again, no.

No what? Options:
1. No parts that are already settled down
2. No way of implementing things without breaking
3. No way you will ever agree to do anything without a solid plan

>> My head can not squeeze all the details, so I'd prefer the route of
>> safe experiments and safety harness rather than too much upfront
>> engineering.
>
> Sure, just start with some basic scenarios (=use cases)...they'll certainly
> be helpful during the continued design discussions.

Can we a have a chef to collect these scenarios? I am bad at concentrating,
completing and maintaining things, so I'd appreciate if somebody could
maintain a wiki chapter with some structure about it.

Right now the scenario plot is this.
[ ] I feel like SCons is slow.
  . it probably because SCons initializes unneeded tools, which take time to
    discover their binaries
  [ ] I don't want SCons to initialize unneeded tools or search for binaries if
      that slows me down

Another scenario:
[ ] I want to know what tools my script uses without reading docs (because
    they often outdated), compiling anything or installing all these tools
A development:
[ ] I want scons to tell me what tools do I needed to compile specific script
    or target