[Scons-dev] Duplicate issue policy

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 10:17:08 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:
> I am wondering if it should be policy for later duplicates to be marked
> as duplicates of earlier issues, rather than earlier issues being marked
> as duplicates of later ones?

One of the cases when policies hurt. )

If two issues are not clear enough, contain a lot of excessive info
and take a lot of
time to get through, then neither of them should be duplicate. Instead
it is "better"
to create a new issue with straightforward summary and updated tests/patches.

I wish Python process included that practice. BCCed core-workflow at python.org

When defining "better" for tracker items I use a rule of a 15 minutes. This rule
assumes that a person has only 15 minutes a day for each issue and every day
for every issue he starts from scratch. If you want this person to send a patch,
put a vote, propose a solution, or take another action, just make sure that he
spends as little time as possible trying to understand what's going on, where
the problem is, and what to do, so that the rest of his 15 minutes can be spent
on real action.