[Scons-dev] Scons 2.3.2 regression, D tool...

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Aug 9 14:13:33 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-08-09 at 19:54 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
[…]
> I think the reasoning behind this is, that if a Fortran compiler isn't
> found during construction of the Environment (because PATH is not setup
> properly), it gives the user a chance to directly set "env['FORTRAN'] =
> /path/to/fc" and get things going for him.
> Whether this was a good idea is quite debatable, but that would be my
> explanation for why things are as they are.

If it's good enough for Fortran it's good enough for D. :-)

I suggest that the primary issue is the smart_link which if I remember
correctly only works properly if the infrastructure for C, C++, Fortran
and D is all present.

[…]
> Another option would be to not completely remove it, but use
> env.Default() such that the variable is only set if it doesn't exist
> yet. That should do the trick too.

I have implemented the removal for now, but it needs testing by someone
who might see the problem, I cannot. Though the full tests do highlight
some test fails:

	test/Deprecated/SourceCode/SourceCode.py
	test/Docbook/basic/epub/epub.py
	test/Docbook/basic/html/html.py
	test/Docbook/basic/htmlchunked/htmlchunked.py
	test/Docbook/basic/htmlhelp/htmlhelp.py
	test/Docbook/basic/man/man.py
	test/Docbook/dependencies/xinclude/xinclude.py
	test/Interactive/shell.py

Most of the 105 skipped tests I understand, some have me worried,
especially the Fortran ones and some of the LaTeX ones.

> Thanks a lot for looking at this immediately.

It acted as entertainment and distraction from getting Python courses
ready for presentation next week and in three weeks time!

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk