[Scons-dev] New symlink copy support

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 04:33:54 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 2:27 AM, William Blevins <wblevins001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see, I missed this fact from the commit. That makes sense,
>> but documentation needs to be simplified IMO.
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/commits/2e225b46b2ad10230ae0a11090a7a26101866989
>> Because I read "symbolic link copying behavior" in a wrong way.
>

> Provide a suggestion?  I can barely read my own mind much less anyone else's
> :)
>
> What about this?
>
> +    <para>
> +    The &Copy; factory supports copying symbolic links. This behavior can
> be controlled by an optional third argument.
> +    </para>
> +
> +    <para>
> +    Symbolic link shallow copied a new symbolic link:
> +    </para>
> +
> +    <para>
> +    <literal>Command("LinkIn", "LinkOut1", Copy("$TARGET", "$SOURCE"[,
> True]))</literal>
> +    </para>
> +
> +    <para>
> +    Symbolic link target copied as a file or directory:
> +    </para>
> +
> +    <para>
> +    <literal>Command("LinkIn", "FileOrDirectoryOut", Copy("$TARGET",
> "$SOURCE", False))</literal>
> +    </para>

=) I'd say this:

<para>
Since SCons 2.3.x Copy has symcopy keyword argument that controls how
symlinks are copied. If set to True, symlinks will be copied as links, if False,
SCons will copy file pointed by symlink.
</para>

Positional arguments are bad, because from this:
   Copy("$TARGET", "$SOURCE", False)
I can't say what False stands for. My first idea is dry-run.