[Scons-dev] scons trunk is broken..

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Apr 27 13:33:15 EDT 2014

Hi Anatoly,

On 27.04.2014 19:16, anatoly techtonik wrote:

> [...]

> I just want to make sure that when people hit problems, there is already

> a page to document the problem. It may happen that we will need to

> introduce shebang header and parse it manually before inclusion to warn

> users that the SConstruct was designed with another Python version in

> mind and that they should expect failures.

I understand your concerns, but on the other hand we have to look
closely at what we can accomplish with the currently given resources. I
don't think we are in any way "obliged" to help users, even the ones
that use SCons as their only Python application, to transition from v2.x
to 3.y. As soon as users or package maintainers add Python code beyond
the standard SCons API, like env.Append or env.Program, our
responsibility actually ends.

We have to make sure that SCons itself (the core sources, and the
external tools to some extent) works under both versions. Additional
support should be restricted to pointing at the official 2to3
documentation and helper scripts (which already exist, together with
tons of blog entries and other web tutorials listing the most important
points and techniques).
I don't want to see us ending as inofficial "Python 2to3 help desk",
getting swamped with work. ;)

Just my 2 cents.