[Scons-dev] Subprocess issue on Linux?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Wed Apr 23 03:07:43 EDT 2014

On 23.04.2014 01:42, Bill Deegan wrote:

> Dirk,

> So if I understand correctly, the stubprocess patch passes all the

> regression tests and is signficantly faster than the current

> implementation?

That's correct, but I'm not sure whether things like the redirection of
stdout/stderr works in all cases, or might create quirky problems in
certain situations. I just can't judge the technical stability level of
the stubprocess.py source.

> Is there any downside to using it? (Does it work on py3?)

I haven't tried the wrapper under Python3 yet. But as far as I
understood Eugene and Jason, it's not implemented.
Another downside is that this doesn't work under Windows obviously, I
don't have any infos about OSx, and Alexandre Leblot already asked me in
a PM about the support for Solaris. I can't test these things, so I've
no idea. ;)

> If not is there any reason not to send a pull request?

Creating a pull request is probably not difficult, on the technical
level. But should the wrapper get activated automatically under Linux,
transparently for the user? Or would it be an experimental option at
first, that the user can activate via a command-line option...since we
aren't that sure about all the possible implications?