[Scons-dev] SCons speedup and profiling results...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Sep 26 12:38:15 EDT 2013

Hi Rupert,

On 26.09.2013 09:24, rupert THURNER wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

>> Hi Gary,

>> On 26.09.2013 02:08, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

>>> [...]

>>> what are the main things which make waf, and wonderbuild so much

>>> faster than scons? a test is here, but already a little outdated:

>>> http://retropaganda.info/~bohan/work/psycle/branches/bohan/wonderbuild/benchmarks/time.xml

the main difference between SCons and waf/wonderbuild regarding run
times for updates is, that the latter two don't offer a "recursive
variable substitution" feature (the subst() method in SCons).
Additionally, wonderbuild is trimmed to speed by sacrificing
correctness, e.g. it's CPP scanner doesn't care about "#ifdef"s.
Waf handles this much better, I guess...but I didn't check its sources.

Regards,