[Scons-dev] scons running on py2.7 and py3.3

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Sep 25 19:17:02 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-09-22 at 13:33 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> > OK, I ported all of Neal's work onto a python3-port branch in the main

> > SCons repo. I made an initial commit with just the 2to3, then added the

> > rest of his initial manual changes, and then cherry-picked all the rest

> of

> > his commits onto that branch.

> > This is now the branch where all python3 work should be done. I think

> it's

> > a good start. Many tests currently don't pass in my Python 2.7.2 (on

> > Ubuntu 11.04); mostly str/unicode type errors so far. Neal, did you run

> > the tests on python2? Did things work for you?

> To date I have kept the D tooling variant of SCons as a separate

> repository using the default branch. This turns out to work fairly well,

> pending someone telling me when I can propose a merge into the mainline,

> which should have happened months ago ;-)

> Now with multiple branches how is one supposed to manage the differences

> so that the D Tooling appears in the Python 3 branch as well as the

> default branch?

I wondered about that as I was doing it, Russel. I recognize that in hg
there's a contingent that says use separate repos for branches, and avoid
named branches. But since we already have some named branches, and I'm
really at heart more of a git guy :-) I figured I'd do it that way -- but
I'm not wedded to it; I assume we can back it out and make a separate repo.
But how do projects that work that way keep track of what's what? Seems
like you need a meta-repo layer to communicate what's branched from where.

If we did it as separate repos per branch, would that address your
concerns? You could of course merge your D stuff into each branch for
testing, or when it's merged to the mainline if we haven't merged the
python3 branch it should merge on top of your stuff (which may still need
some 2to3, as will any such branch getting merged from here on out).