[Scons-dev] plan for python3 port?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Sep 5 08:43:29 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 10:12 +0000, Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) wrote:

> Those of us who aren't so active and are still on python 2.6 are going to be less happy, especially if we aren't entirely in control of which version of python we get to use.

<< I thought I had replied to this, but cannot see it. If an earlier
version turns up, sorry for the duplication. >>

RHEL appears determined to stay with Python 2.6 and I guess many other
have to as well. I was originally for the 2.7 floor to get at all the
backports of 3.3 stuff as and when. However if there are many SCons
users in need of executing on 2.6, and now that we know many projects
who are being Python 2 and Python 3 compliant are choosing 2.6, 2.7 and
3.3+ as their compliance list and succeeding (*), I wonder if SCons
should revert the 2.7 floor decision and consider a 2.6 floor decision.

(*) 2,5 and earlier are ignored as are 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder