[Scons-dev] scons development speedup

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Sep 5 08:33:58 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 07:09 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:

> I will start an effort to work on porting to python3.3. I have one question on

> how to speed up the edit/test cycle.

> Right now, I might do

> python setup.py install --user

I run SCons direct from the Mercurial repository using the bootstrap.py
module. This avoids the install phase and I think gets round your
problem?

> Now I can test scons, edit files installed (into .local/lib/python3.3/site-

> packages...).

> But how can I avoid having to then manually sync the edits back into the scons

> source directory for another round of python setup.py install --user? Or at

> least, some way to automate the syncing of changes back to the source dir.

I have the Debian Unstable SCons installed via the package to give me a
backup version know to work and then do not install any other version
just use the bootstrap. This allows me to have 3 or 4 different versions
of SCons available and all usable as is without any problems of
cross-coupling.

Might this way of working help you here?

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder