[Scons-dev] plan for python3 port?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Sep 4 14:53:40 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 13:57 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
[…]

> So you are thinking this is not an easy task that could be handled by some

> volunteers? I was thinking we could just setup a branch in whatever dvcs is

> used by scons, and start hacking.

It is a straightforward (albeit potentially not fascinating) task that
can be handled by anyone with reasonable Python skills and the kit to
run the tests. The issue is that the people who are currently active on
this list have not had the volunteer cycles to get active.

If anyone has cycles to clone the Mercurial repository on BitBucket,
start hacking on the default branch (no "feature branches" as this is
Mercurial) to remove all code not needed for Python 2.7 and 3.3, ensure
the tests pass using both 2.7 and 3.3, and submit pull requests via
BitBucket, then the entire SCons community will be immensely happy!

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder