[Scons-dev] Working branches

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Oct 7 07:47:31 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-04 at 14:19 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
[…]

> What I've been thinking is this:

> * for now, we continue working on the python3-port branch until it works.

> * until python3-port works, regular changes go on default as usual.

> * merge from default into python3-port as needed, to keep it current.

> * as soon as it's working (which means on both python2 and python3 all

> tests pass, and a few people say it works in their environments), we merge

> it to default and close that branch.

> * From then on, all new changes go on default, and must support our list

> of supported pythons (2.7.2 or greater, and 3.3 or greater, right?)

>From a quick look, the python3 branch looks like Python3 only code, it

needs bringing back to be Python 2 compliant as well as Python 3
compliant. Step 1 is to put:

from __future__ import absolute_import, division, print_function, unicode_literals

as the first statement in every code file and see what happens.

[…]

> Feature branches seem to be the worst part of hg IMHO. Dirk, your workflow

> seems OK, although a bit indirect; you could run into problems once your

> changes are accepted, pulling back in. Russel, would Dirk's setup work for

> you? Alternatively if we used a separate repo for python3 work would that

> be better? (Seems weird to me, even though it seems to be common practice

> in mercurial).

Apparently bookmarks are to Mercurial what feature branches are to Git.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder