[Scons-dev] Working branches

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Oct 4 14:10:11 EDT 2013

Hi Russel,

On 04.10.2013 19:23, Russel Winder wrote:

> Now we have default and python3-port as working branches, we need a

> workflow that ensures they are kept in sync. If python3-port is left

> behind, then all the work to date will have been for nought.

hmmm, we probably should discuss (and then decide) how we want
development to look like, once we have a working python3 branch. Will we
continue to support both major versions 2.x and 3.x? If yes, in which
direction (2->3 or 3->2) do we merge
preferably, meaning: where do we do most of our development?

Or does the 2.x stuff get abandoned and we care about Python 3.x only?

> I also need advice on how to handle "feature clones": I have the

> SCons_D_Tooling clone and have no idea how to manage it now with the two

> working branches.

I have my own repository "scons_experimental" for things like this. I
pull from the SCons main repo whenever I feel the need to update, but
never push back. So, I can merge freely and can also use named branches
as much as I like...one for every "feature", basically.
For features to be published, I create a patch and apply it to my clone
of the main repo...then issue a pull request from there.