[Scons-dev] Using SCons via bootstrap.py

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat May 18 11:58:12 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 09:48 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
[…]

> But it still works if you start the "bootstrap.py" from the top-level

> folder ("SCons_D_Tooling" in your case), right?

I have never tried that, I am not sure what the use case would be for
non-SCons-itself builds as you would have to give the absolute path to
the SConstruct you wanted run.

> For the doc toolchain changes I also added some basic support for

> wildcards in the Manifest files, and I use os.chdir inside...this

> obviously breaks "bootstrap.py" when calling it from another path. I

> wasn't aware that this functionality was ever supported and had assumed

> that the whole bootstrapping process would have several hardcoded paths

> and stuff anyway. Sorry about that...

I guess the problem is that with this change the bootstrap.py file has
now become the SCons distribution build tool. :-(

> I'll have a look and see if I can improve things, or if we have to

> switch back to the old handling of Manifest files.

No I think we must move forward, not back.

The question in my mind is why is the os.chdir executed when the script
is being used for launching SCons on a user SConstruct. The os.chdir is
only needed to process documentation files in the SCons tree, cannot it
then be in a select statement of some sort? Can the new processing be
separated out and only executed if needed?

Another question in my mind is why use os.chdir at all couldn't all the
"alternate directory" stuff be done using subprocesses and adding data
to a multiprocessing.Queue?

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder