[Scons-dev] New SCons doc toolchain...

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri May 10 05:15:42 EDT 2013

On Thu, 09 May 2013 23:55:02 +0200
Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> that's okay...but to make me believe this as well, you (or someone

> else) has to deliver actual results. ;)

> As I stated before in this thread, as long as the same functionality

> is kept regarding the automatic creation of examples (and the

> generated list of tools and builders, while delivering the same

> output formats we have now), a toolchain based on a Markdown

> processor gets my full support.

Being a little lazy and more tight with the time atm, here I provide some
reference which does those things:

http://pedrokroger.net/2012/10/using-sphinx-to-write-books/

> That's more because the stylesheets have been neglected in the past

> (obviously nobody wanted to fiddle with DSSSL) and because parts of

> the document processing relied on home-brewed SGML parsing without

> proper support for XML. Like this, not all valid XML/Docbook

> constructs would have worked, which held back people a little to use

> the full power of the Docbook stylesheets.

> This can (and hopefully will) change now...

That's very cool - I never considered to fiddle with Docbook in pre-XML era.

:-)

However, it still does not make Docbook authoring easier as Russel wrote:
"...I am a hater of humans having to read and write XML". :-)

> Then just try to convert a few SCons documents with it, and send us

> some selected pages (not the whole document!) of output samples.

Please check Pandoc examples online - there are two involving Docbook under
the section: 9. DocBook XML

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And
whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues.