[Scons-dev] New SCons doc toolchain...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Mar 25 19:50:07 EDT 2013

Hi developers,

over the last weeks, I collected together all the work I'd done so far
on the rewrite of the documentation toolchain in SCons. It has now
reached a state where I think it's ready to get a little more public, so
I pushed the current code to my private work repository.
If you'd like to have a look at it, you can get a copy of the branch
with something like:

hg clone
https://dirkbaechle@bitbucket.org/dirkbaechle/scons_experimental -r
new_doc_toolchain scons_doc_toolchain

Yes, I use named branches to organize my work...and no, I don't intend
to create a pull request for the official SCons repo from here. ;)

It currently has the following main features:

- All processing is based on plain Python scripts, the only
additional dependencies are either lxml or libxml2.
(for creating the PDF files, you also need to have a renderer like
fop, xep or jw installed)
XML parsing is now DOM-based, instead of using SAX.
- Uses a special SCons XSD, based on the Docbook v4.5 DTD/XSD.
- All documents (like MAN pages, User guide and also the
Tools/Builders docs in the src/engine folder)
are valid against this XSD and can be easily re-validated after any
changes by running a single script.
- The troff input files for the MAN pages have been converted to
Docbook (DocLifter still rocks!).
- Entities, the descriptions for Tools/Builders/Functions/CVars and
the automatically created example
outputs are supported as before.
- All document folders have SConstructs, together with the added
Docbook Tool you can directly create
HTML and MAN pages. The User guide has its own titlepage design,
see the attached PDF for getting
a first impression from a few selected pages.

For more information about the new folder structure, which files can be
found where and how everything fits together, please refer to the file
'doc/overview.rst'. It's also still a work in progress, but hopefully
already can
answer some of the most urgent questions.

So, just dive in if you find the time, and give some feedback please.
Try to edit a document and then create the
output. I'm especially interested in comments about the general
workflow. Is it user-oriented and friendly enough for the developers and
the release team?
I'd rather not go into deep discussions about the design of the
titlepages for the User manual, or why exactly I chose Docbook v4.5 as a
start. If you think that these details need a change, you'll get your
chance as soon as the new toolchain has found its way into the main
repository. ;)

In the meantime I'll continue with completing documentation and
rewriting the bootstrap.py and doc/SConstruct files, such that the
building and packaging processes work with the new setup.

So much for today.