[Scons-dev] GSOC this year?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Mar 20 11:38:24 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM, William Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com

> > wrote:

>> Folks,

>> Anyone interested in mentoring for GSOC for SCons this year?

>> Any appropriate projects ?

> Build SCons diagrams, and tools, yes. Research current, define and

> implement next mechanisms for:

> 1. Tool discovery

> 2. Tool initialization

> 3. Dependency graph construction

Thanks for this, Anatoly. I agree with much of what you suggest as good
projects for SCons. We can quibble about whether some of them are
appropriate size for a summer student (having mentored a few GSoC kids, I
have a pretty good idea how far they can get), but the other question is
whether anyone here has time to mentor them. I really really wish I did --
I did it three years running and found it great. But I don't have time
this year.

If we can find mentors, then let's go for it.

That said, I think toolchain revamp is probably too big for a summer
student; if we were a bit further along, porting existing tools to a new
framework would be about right. But we're not there yet. I like your
visualization ideas though, and to those I would add a bunch of Python3/2.7
porting work.

-- Gary