[Scons-dev] Testing non-core tools

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Jul 27 08:30:22 EDT 2013

Russel,

On 27.07.2013 14:09, Russel Winder wrote:

> Dirk,

> On Sat, 2013-07-27 at 13:30 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:

> […]

> My irritant here is that the test SConstruct is not the same as would be

> used in a real project. Given all SCons tests are effectively system

> tests, I tend to prefer the code of the test being exactly the code the

> "end user" (as in the person developing the project using SCons as build

> tool).

I don't want to appear nit-picky, but when you set up an SConstruct for
a project that uses a locally packaged Tool module (like your protoc.py,
in the top-level folder), you have to specify "toolpath=['.']" as well. ;)

> If the test framework always added '.' to the tool search path when the

> -e option was present then I suspect that it would get around my

> problem.

This would mean to implicitly handle external Tools, as if they were
in-core. I'm not sure we want it that way...comments?
I'll have a look and check whether it's technically possible (my tummy
says "yes").

Regards,