[Scons-dev] 2013+ projects

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Jan 27 17:26:34 EST 2013

Here's my ideas about what projects are important this year (and into the
future -- there's too much here for a year unless we attract some new
developers). I put this out as food for thought, and to start discussion
-- I'm sure you will have different opinions, things I haven't thought
about. Please chime in!

SCons projects for 2013

- Toolchain revamp
- Goals
- Toolchain specs with AND/OR/error
- Easy install of external tools
- Decouple standard tools from core
- Allow tools to take args (version, arch, ...) w/o polluting env
- Issues
- Users need to be able to set up tool chains before SConstruct
- Users need to be able to set toolchains for default env
- Need reliable exists() method
- Don't modify env['PATH'], allow specific path-setting per tool
- but make that debuggable
- Can we make it back-compatible?
- Node cleanup
- Speed