[Scons-dev] LaTeX changes to env['PATH'] can break builds

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Jan 6 14:36:19 EST 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 12:30 -0500, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> Someone at my work recently discovered that updating SCons to 2.2.0 breaks

> his build. The reason is it now puts /usr/local/bin in the PATH

> (env['PATH']) before /usr/bin (or sth similar). He has a bad version of a

> utility in /usr/local/bin, which now gets used instead of the right one. I

> was worried that this might happen. He bisected to find the change that

> did it, and I've included his analysis below.

> There are several things we can do:

> 1. do nothing, that's just how it is now.

I have to admit, this is my choice. /usr/local/bin should
precede /usr/bin in the path exactly because it is /usr/local/bin. Can I
argue that the fact that your colleague has a f##### u# system should
not drive SCons development? The solution is for your colleague to
remove the broken system from /usr/local/bin :-)

> 2. make the LaTeX stuff use absolute paths rather than relying on

> env['PATH']

> 3. Somehow set PATH only for that tool, without mucking with the standard

> PATH.

> I don't like #2, it's ugly. #1 is easiest, but since our goal is to make

> reproducible builds, modifying the path globally is not ideal. That leaves

> us with #3. I don't have any ideas off the top of my head for how to

> handle that; does anyone?

> Which leads me to toolchain revamp. I'm going to write up a message about

> this shortly; I think it should be one of our highest priority projects for

> 2013 (along with several others), and I'm willing to take it on.

I don't have many free cycles for the next three months, but I can chip
in as and when.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder