[Scons-dev] Versioned libraries: non-standard sonames

David García Garzón david.garcia at upf.edu
Tue Dec 31 13:12:02 EST 2013

I've been trying out the versioned libraries feature. As I said i do
like the nice interface you guys finally got. But i would like to
comment two issues i found. I open this thread about the first one:
Non-standard Sonames

Current implementation forces you to set the major version number as the
soname suffix for your library. This is convenient in many cases, but
this doesn't cover the undesiderable but real cases in which the soname
must be changed more than once between major versions.

Indeed in our project we left the first version for API changes, and the
second version for ABI changes and the last one for ABI safe changes. So
our soname has two version numbers and i think we are not a rare case.
Indeed some projects have unrelated sonames and library names, that is
far from ideal but real. So in general, i see convenient to be able to
explicitly set the soversion for the library.

The solution i am thinkin on, in pseudo-python, would be:

soname = (
$SONAME if $SONAME else
libname+$SOVERSION if $SOVERSION else
libname+majorversion($SHLIBVERSION) if $SHLIBVERSION
)

So, how do you feel about this feature? I feel bold to implement it
myself, so give me a bless and i'll go for it.

David Garcia Garzón.
http://clam-project.org