[Scons-dev] New SCons doc toolchain...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Apr 29 18:37:28 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,

On 29.04.2013 21:51, William Deegan wrote:

> All,

> I see the following when running bootstrap.py

> SCons import failed. Trying to run from source directory

> scons: Reading SConscript files ...

> scons: done reading SConscript files.

> scons: Building targets ...

> scons: `.' is up to date.

> scons: done building targets.

> [...]

looks like you ran all the single SConstructs in the "doc/*" folders
before. So everything is up to date...

> Also I had to install the following (on ubuntu 10.04)

> sudo apt-get install python-libxml2

> python-libxslt1 python-epydoc fop python2.6-dev

That's what I would have expected...

> Note that without the proper tools installed the build failed

> complaining about scons.1 missing.

> Would it be possible to allow bootstrap.py to complete skipping the

> parts which won't build due to missing tools?

> I don't remember if that's what we did before.

Before this, there were checks for the single command-line tools like
"jw", and several others.
I can add a check to the main SConstruct, trying to import the
lxml/libxml2 bindings and skipping the docs if none of them can be found.

> Also, probably a good idea to update: bin/scons_dev_master.py to have

> an updated list of tools needed would be great.

I'll correct that, based on the list for Ubuntu above...

> [...]

> What would be the advantage of this then? Sorry that I have to ask,

> but some of the XML files use hard-coded paths to include the

> generated lists of tools and builders, for example. That's why this

> task might not be trivial...

>> I'd also like to still be able and simply call SCons from the

>> "doc/user" or "doc/man" folder itself, while editing documents.

> Seems reasonable that the build products would go in the build dir.

> I believe that's been the case up to now.

> Typically when I'm working on such, I may do a rm -rf build, and then

> rebuild to make sure the clean build doesn't have issues.

I see the point and will try to rearrange things a bit. For keeping the
same level in the folder hierarchy I'd like to install the doc sources
to "build/doc_src_man" and "build/doc_src_user", respectively. Would
that be okay?