[Scons-dev] Qt support

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Apr 16 13:57:52 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 00:50 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
[…]

> I don't want to install the contributed tools into the usual site_scons

> directory. They go straight into the SCons install, alongside with

> "doc", "src", "QMTest" there would then be a "contrib" folder.

> I can't offer any experience with pypi, so I don't know whether this is

> possible...but something like this should be the goal.

PyPI is great because it is a central resource for Python packages. PyPI
sucks because it is a central resource.

Pip has the problem that it requires administrator access to install
into the base Python installation. Virtualenv is great because it
replicates the base Python in a user malleable way and makes pip
trivially usable.

Go allows for any Git, Mercurial, Bazaar repository that is
appropriately structured to be used as a package source.

We all use Git, Mercurial and Bazaar for source code control, isn't this
the technology we are looking for?

> We can't be the first people on the planet trying to distribute

> additional software packages...there has to be a solution out there.

> Let's find and use it, instead of inventing our own. ;)

Every programming language invents its own build system and packaging
system. Except perhaps C and C++. QED ;-)

Go is the first language I know to simply embrace Git, Mercurial and
Bazaar as the tools of package management.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder