[Scons-dev] RPM helper functions, where should they go?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Tue Sep 25 13:38:56 EDT 2012

Hi there,

for fixing the current Buildbot failures I still have to fight down
several RPM tests. They check the names of the created RPM files, which
differ depending on the used hardware/os combination.
I'd like to wrap the original RPM functions for canonicalizing
machine/system names and all the supporting stuff to a Python module,
but I can't make up my mind about where the file should go.
It should be possible to import it from the RPM/packaging stuff and the
test suite in QMTest as well.

My suggestion would be a new file "rpmrc.py" in the SCons/Tools dir,
alongside the "rpm.py" tool.
Does this make sense or do we have a better place?

P.S.: For cases like this it would be cool to have a "scons-common"
package with stuff that can get used by SCons itself, the test framework
and perhaps even Parts. It could offer basic things like "starting
processes, is-this-a-list?" and similar stuff, which are partly spread
over the whole codebase in different variations...