[Scons-dev] File-based build tools will never handle Java

Chris BeHanna chris at behanna.org
Thu Sep 6 16:05:33 EDT 2012

On Sep 6, 2012, at 14:15 , Greg Ward <greg at gerg.ca> wrote:

> On 06 September 2012, Chris BeHanna said:

>> :nod:

>> That performance hit is why $EMPLOYER is abandoning SCons. :-(

> OT: mind if I ask what they/you are switching to?

Back to the devil-we-know: make, except non-recursive this time, and heavily parameterized, to the point that each module's "makefile" ends up being little more than a list of sources and a module output, and the platforms and variants for which that module will get build. All of the heavy lifting is done elsewhere.

"tup" looks interesting. There was something else out there that used inotify to trigger updates to an in-memory DAG, then it would rebuild on the fly, as soon as you saved your work. I can't remember what it was.

--
Chris BeHanna
chris at behanna.org