[Scons-dev] File-based build tools will never handle Java

Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
Thu Sep 6 15:22:02 EDT 2012

On 06 September 2012, Mark A. Flacy said:

> The other large problem that we had seen was when we renamed/repackaged

> various classes without ensuring that their old .class files were removed.

> Classes that were still looking for the old one would still compile, since

> javac would find the old .class file in the classpath and use that.

tup solves this nicely: if it sees old build products that were in the
old DAG but are not in the new DAG... it deletes them. Any build tool
that keeps its DAG in a database ought to be able to do this!

I'm sure there are all sorts of tricky corner cases to make sure you
don't accidentally delete a source file, but that seems like a very
nice feature for a build tool to have.

Greg
--
Greg Ward http://www.gerg.ca/