[Scons-dev] File-based build tools will never handle Java

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Thu Sep 6 14:55:11 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Kenny, Jason L <jason.l.kenny at intel.com> wrote:

> To get what a file Java depends on ...

I get what you mean, but it's important to say it correctly. A java
file is a source. It doesn't depend on anything. Only build targets
have dependencies. A class file and a jar file are targets; they have
dependencies. You never have to rebuild a java file (well, unless
it's auto-generated which is another story), but you do rebuild jars
and classes when their dependencies (.java files) change.

You may need to scan java files to find other java files, the way we
scan C files to find headers. What happens then is the object file
(or class or jar) gets a dependency on the files found as the result
of the scan. The C file does not depend on the header. The C file's
object file depends on the header.

Sorry if I'm being pedantic but I think it's important.