[Scons-dev] boostrap and MANIFEST

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Sep 6 12:25:27 EDT 2012

On 06.09.2012 08:10, Russel Winder wrote:

> There must be a reason why the bootstrap process uses a manifest file,

> and that there is a text and an XML version of the same data. That

> reason eludes me just now but I am sure someone will enlighten me!

Sure,

the current Docbook toolchain does not only transform XML to HTML or
render it to FO/PDF. We support the automatic execution of SCons
examples for the User Guide, and add its output in the right places.
Like this, the output of SCons---as shown in the manual---is always
consistent with the current version.
That's what the step *.in -> *.xml is basically for.
For more infos check

http://scons.org/wiki/DeveloperGuide/Documentation

and

http://scons.org/wiki/DeveloperGuide/Documentation/Discussion

, respectively.

In the background I'm working on a new toolchain, with less dependencies
to other packages...and a single set of input files for the user. ;)

Regards,